Melbourne is arguably one of the best places for food and drinks in Australia. It has an outstanding reputation for some of the best coffee in the country and it’s plant based scene is well established and rapidly expanding. Here are some of my top recommendations for plant based food in Melbourne:
- The Vegan Shack, Richmond: A small fully plant based cafe on the main strip in Richmond. These guys know how to make a pretty special smashed avo and their smoothies are decadent. The team here are super friendly and the vibes are very chilled. You can view their menu here.
- Smith & Deli, Fitzroy: Think a New York style deli, but entirely plant based and you have yourself Smith & Deli. This place takes sandwiches to a whole new level with a selection of mouthwatering options including ‘Parmageddon’ (schnitzel, pesto, mozzarella, and tomato sauce) and ‘The Ruebenstein’ (pastrami, sauerkraut, pickles and a russian dressing) being two very popular options. There is also a deli section with a selection of ‘meats’, ‘cheeses’ and other condiments as well as a small shop area with sweet treats. Bring your omni family and friends, they’ll never know it’s ALL plant based!
- Vegie Bar, Fitzroy: Another Fitzroy favourite, this restaurant is fully vegetarian and predominantly plant based with an epic menu! There is something for everyone with lots of different options. I can vouch for the ‘Mostly Greens’ veggie and tempeh bowl and the ‘Mee Goreng’ – YUM. You can view their options here.
- Matcha Mylkbar, St Kilda: An award winning cafe by the ocean in St Kilda, Matcha Mylkbar is doing amazing things for the plant based movement. Everything is entirely vegan and they even have a vegan egg and popcorn chicken! It is on the expensive side however it’s always great to support restaurants that are fully plant based. This place gets very busy, so make a booking if you can. Their menu can be viewed here.
- Sister of Soul, St Kilda: A beautiful naturally lit and relaxed restaurant in St Kilda, this place did not disappoint. SoS is another fully vegetarian/mostly vegan restaurant that actually has a sister restaurant in Richmond if you don’t make it to St Kilda. The juices and food are absolutely delicious. The polenta chips are one of the most popular options on the menu and the nasi goreng is both generous and delicious. A great spot to relax and people watch on a Sunday afternoon. You can view their menu here.
- Transformer, Fitzroy: A casual fine dining restaurant, this place is next level amazing. It is a fully vegetarian restaurant but I would say about 90% of the food is vegan and the service was outstanding. The king oyster mushrooms with shallots and pine nut puree, grilled asparagus with roasted red capsicum & walnut and steamed broccolini with miso butter were some of my favourites, but everything I ate was SO GOOD. This is one not to miss. You can view their menu here.
- Boys and Girls, Fitzroy: If you’re a sweet treat fan then you simply cannot skip a visit to Boys and Girls in Fitzroy. It is actually attached to Vegie Bar and only a short distance from Transformer (they are all sister restaurants). Everything is 100% plant based and I just cannot get over how creamy and delicious their ice-cream is. Their flavours change regularly but I highly recommend the chocolate one! If you’re feeling something a little healthier, they also do fresh juices and smoothies, but treat yourself – you won’t regret it! You can view their menu here.